Utility Billing

Effective October 1, 2017 utility rates are increasing. The rate increases will be seen on utility bills issued after November 1, 2017 (billed for October consumption). Water and Sewer rates have increased by 10% from the previous fiscal year, and refuse and recycling rates have increased by 5% from the previous year. 

Why are utility rates increasing?
How does the rate increase impact an average utility bill?
Subdivision Water Suppliers
For utilities in subdivisions or areas surrounding Forney outside the city limits, the City of Forney does not provide services to these locations. Please view the the list below for more detailed information. 

Please CLICK HERE  to see a map of water providers in the area.
Subdivison Water Provider Contact Number
Devonshire High Point Water Supply 972-564-3801
Grayhawk Markout Water Supply 972-564-1250
Heartland Severn Trent Environmental Services 972-552-9496
Highland Prairie Talty Water Supply 972-552-4422
Travis Ranch Forney Lake Water 972-722-3203
Windmill Farms Severn Trent Environmental Services 972-552-9496

Service Request Forms:

New Service Application
All new service requests require a payment of $100.00 which includes an application fee of $25 and a refundable deposit of $75 and a lease, or closing papers for the property. 
Disconnect Service Request
Disconnection requests received by 12 p.m. can be processed the same day. Refund checks (if applicable) will take 4-6 weeks for processing. 
Transfer Service Form
Transferring service from a current Forney account to a new location allows for up to 7 days of service at both locations; if more time is needed a New Service Request will be required.  $15.00 transfer fee applies.
Temporary Service Application
Temporary service is available for up to 14 days and 2000 gallons for a fee of $38.50 due at the time of application. Additional charges will apply if more than 2000 gallons are used. 

All forms must be signed and include a copy of your photo ID/DL to be processed.  Any service requests received after 12 p.m. will not be effective until the next business day.


When's my bill due?

For accounts that begin with 1:
Billed on 1st
Due on 15th
Disconnection for nonpayment on 25th

For accounts that begin with 2:
Billed on 15th
Due on 30th
Disconnection for nonpayment on 10th 

Payment Arrangement Request Form

Payment Arrangements must be received before 8 a.m. on cutoff day. Arrangements CANNOT be made on cutoff day.
For questions about Street Repair, Water Quality or Pressure, Streetlights or Sewer please contact the Public Works Department at 972-564-7340.